Saying Goodbye to the Hottest Band in the World

It didn't hit me the night I saw the final KISS show in Glendale, AZ. In a lot of ways it should have because I was there with my best friend Rudy Moreno, who is no longer with us as we lost him to COVID-19, and my son, who saw KISS for the first and last time that night. At the end of the night I stared for a moment at the Thank you Glendale displayed from the stage and smiled as I had just seen the greatest rock and roll show that I had ever seen in my life. And mind you, I had seen KISS several times before that night as well as many other great rock bands. 

It started to hit me about a month before the last show at Madison Square Garden. I have no recollection of a time in my life when KISS was not only around but a touring group. So the thought of knowing that they will no longer be coming to my hometown for another great show hit me hard. No one puts on a better show than KISS and what many detractors also fail to see is that members of the KISS Army are amazed each year by the show but also cheer just as loud for the songs that we love, the songs that we grew up with, the songs that got us through hard times, as well as the songs that influenced many of us on our own musical journey. 

Then there is the family known as the KISS Army. It's one thing to go to a KISS concerts with your loved ones but when you are partying with those who love the band as much as you do, who have endured the same criticism and seen their favorite band trashed by critics and others in the music business, and yet stuck with them, you are truly among the members of your rock and roll family. I couldn't tell you the names of everyone I slapped hands or cheered with over the years but I will never forget the feeling I had being around my people. 


The Beginning 

I was a small kid going to the homes of my parents' friends who had older kids. Thankfully, those kids were very generous with their time as well as their personal spaces as they allowed us to hang out and listen to some of their favorite bands, which for many of them, was KISS. Aside from that, I was fascinated by the photos of the band that many of them had plastered on their bedroom walls. The various characters produced certain reactions because each one had their own vibe. Yes, it was a brilliant idea because whether it was a song on the radio or a band photo, KISS knew how to get your attention. 

The moment that first KISS record went on I was hooked. With that being said, let me be very clear about something. Yes, there are pictures of the band on the album covers. Yes, the live albums have pictures of the band's stage show. However, there was no stage or pyro in front of me while the music was playing through the speakers. The studio recordings were the band members playing many of the classic songs that generations of fans grew up with, which also included musicians who were influenced by these great songs. 

In other words, while I was not unaware of the band's live presentation it was always about the music. Yes, there were anthemic songs with great hooks in the choruses, songs that celebrated life, great guitar riffs & solos, memorable vocal performances and moments when each member was featured in one way or another. Whether it was Paul Stanley's amazing voice and rhythm guitar riffs, Gene Simmons' growl and thumping bass lines (yes, he is a solid bass player), that memorable style and tone of Ace Frehley's guitar licks as well as those pounding drums and raspy voice of Peter Criss, my first drumming hero. This was a great band who put out some great material. 

It didn't take long for me to ask my parents for my own KISS records and that began a journey that I am still on to this day. I still have every recording that I have come across and continue collecting when I find something of interest. From the studio recordings, to demos, live bootlegs, and so much more. Many claim that the band is money hungry and puts out the most ridiculous things just to fill their wallets. Fair enough, but I am not one to focus on products such as air guitar strings or plan to buy the KISS casket once I come close to my own end. I value the music that has come out over the years and if that means getting an album with an alternate cover then so be it.  

When I started drumming I was determined to learn KISS songs. While many people told me to play along to the records I refused to do that. I would memorize the songs and then I would play Paul, Gene and Ace's parts in my head while I sat in with Peter Criss. Therefore, I am proud to say that the first band I ever played with was KISS because I was playing Peter's parts note for note with his bandmates since I could hear myself as well as the rest of the band in my head. It turned out to be a great exercise as that helped me start the process of memorizing songs quickly, which continues to help me to this day when I have to learn lots of material as a working drummer. 


Changes 

I was 8 years old when Peter Criss left the band. I remember being more shocked than sad but I was able to handle it when I knew that Peter was doing okay and had his own musical plans. I was intrigued by this new member, Eric Carr. Now we have a new character and musical contributor so the look and sound of the band changed. 

Eric's drumming was powerful and melodic. It would be years later after I learned to play other instruments and studied music when I realized that his unique drumming style was because he was a talented multi-instrumentalist. I am fully convinced that he is the most talented musician that the band ever had. 

Right away, the band's sound was now heavier. In other words, welcome to the 80's. But there was much more than that. While Peter had a jazz background and you could feel that swing in the earlier songs Eric had diversity since he had years of playing in Top 40 bands. Therefore, KISS was also funkier, which was also a welcomed addition to the 80's. 

Then there was the departure of Ace Frehley with a string of guitarists trying to fill his shoes until the amazing Bruce Kulick came in to solidify the position. While many debate the musical depth of the 80's one cannot deny that KISS adapted and was able to thrive in their second decade. Sure, they were not the front runners as this was the time of bands like Bon Jovi and the Los Angeles glam bands but KISS still had their fan base and continued to deliver timeless songs that we continue to celebrate to this day. No one can deny Carr and Kulick's commitment to the band and that resonated on every album and live performance. While the members, look, and sound of the band changed the force that was KISS was still the same. 

Eric Carr's passing was devastating and a loss that the KISS Army has always felt since we lost our beloved drummer. I had a hard time accepting the band without him but in time I was able to get back into the flow. The mid-90's were a tough time as the changing musical landscape was not a good time for a lot of older or more established rock bands. I hated grunge and the dry approach to recording and it was disturbing to me when I watched KISS follow that trend for a brief time. Thankfully, that didn't last long once we were treated to the long awaited Reunion Tour of the original lineup. 

Our emotions were off the charts to see the Paul Gene, Peter, and Ace back together. It had to happen because they were still with us and they knew that it was something the fans wanted. No, money does not drive this type of thing and I am honestly tired of hearing people trash KISS for being a successful brand when there are plenty of other artists who also sell tons of merchandize who also charge much more to see less of a show. 

I know that many people were upset when change came again, which would lead to Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer donning the Catman and Spaceman makeup that, let's go ahead and remind everyone, owned by Paul and Gene. It's a simple idea: if the makeup meant that much to Peter and Ace they never would have sold their rights to it. And, most fans have never been in a band and do not know how hard it is to keep together. Further, disgruntled fans always had the option not to attend KISS shows or buy KISS albums featuring the replacement members.  

Eric and Tommy have done a great job and their commitment to the band is that same that we saw in Carr and Kulick as well as Criss and Frehly back in the early days. To paraphrase Gene it's like an army where someone goes down and someone else who believes in the cause takes their place. 

I respect that. 


KISS Concerts

The first time I saw KISS in concert was in 1985 during the Animalize tour. I was 12 years old and was absolutely mesmerized. The makeup was gone but the energy and commitment to putting on the best possible show was still there. I would go on to see them perform without makeup two more times, which included Eric Carr's last performance in the Los Angeles area. That would be their famous Hot in the Shade tour, which was the best way for him to end his run with the band. That had to be the best non-makeup era show as the stage show was the biggest they had done to date and their level of performance along with their set list was the best of the decade. 

The Reunion Tour was the first time I would see the original lineup and they did not disappoint. To hear many of the classic songs that had been dropped from the set list before the 80's was also a great treat as I now had an experience that went beyond watching my bootleg concert tapes. 

I would also see this lineup during the Psycho Circus tour as it was exciting to be at opening night at Dodger Stadium for a tour that was promoting a new KISS album. That is not something that everyone gets to do in their lifetime so this was an experience that I will never forget. I would also attend what was called The Farewell Tour and while we heard stories of issues going on behind the scenes as well as shows that were not up to par I can honestly say that the show I attended was phenomenal. That was the night I processed the end and I cried my eyes out once I got home. 

After being an official Arizonan for a couple of years I would see the band again during the Sonic Boom tour in Phoenix and it was another great show. Besides having a chance to hear some new material it was also nice to hear material from all eras as Eric and Tommy have the ability to play the new material while replicating anything from the entire KISS catalog. 

Yes, there were those at that time that questioned why the band continued after going on what was thought to be a final tour. Well, the original lineup could no longer coexist. Paul and Gene certainly did not want to go out in a way that was unfulfilling. And, as Paul Stanley said, how many times did Michael Jordan retire?  

I attended The End of the Road tour early before the pandemic. The show was in Glendale, AZ and I was both excited and anxious as I knew it would be the last time I would see the band, and they did not disappoint. Aside from them putting together an amazing set list they also put on the best show I have ever seen. Mind you that by this point in my life I had also seen bands like Iron Maiden and Rammstein and NO ONE puts on a show like KISS. This was the perfect way to for the band to go out. Not only did they put on the best show that the band ever did but they also put on a show that could stand on its own in any period of rock history. As Geddy Lee of Rush once said, No one works harder onstage than KISS.  


Forever Impacted 

I am not in a rock band as my dreams of fame and fortune faded long ago, but I still remember how much KISS influenced my approach during my days of chasing the dream. First, I always believed in every band that I was in and I put my all into everything we did. From rehearsals to recording sessions to gigs and photo sessions. Whatever it took to push our brand, I was there, I did my job and gave it my all. Second, I did not compromise on anything unless it was an idea that I truly believed in. When you love a band that wears outlandish make up and costumes it's not hard to stand your ground on ideas that were a lot less flamboyant. Finally, critics come and go. Trends come and go. But if you love what you're doing then keep doing what you are doing. 

For the past 30 years I have performed in various settings but the bulk of my work the last 20 years has been as a working musician. It was not a path I expected to follow but when it did come I was ready. From creating the Desert Drummer brand to showing up and giving my all onstage or in the studio. Yes, I had a lot of great mentors along the way but KISS were my first teachers of what it meant to give your all as a performer. 

Later on as I grew tired of just working my creativity started to return to the surface. That feeling of doing something that was authentically me started to chip away the idea of just being a working musician and once that happened the influence of KISS was there yet again. So from writing tribal drumming compositions to my own instrumental music to doing solo drum set shows to leading drumming Master Classes. This is what I want to do and I can hear the members of KISS telling me to follow my heart, do the work and don't let anyone get in your way. 

They have always been my greatest teachers when it comes to following my vision no matter what anyone has to say while finding ways over, around or through each obstacle. As Paul Stanley once said, Some people want to see you fail because if you succeed it makes it that much harder for them to deal with their own failure.  In other words, how many people are willing to try? Sure, success is a great thing but am I doing what I really want to do as a musician or do I just want to play other people's music for the rest of my life? No, there is nothing wrong with that as work is always a good thing but I know there is more to me than that. 

The members of KISS could have easily followed that route as some of them actually did do the working band thing before being a part of KISS (replacement members as well) but they sought to create something different, bigger and better...and then found a way to make it happen. Imagine this: four musicians who all wanted to be part of a great band that also wanted to put on a big show met, clicked musically and had the commitment to do whatever it took to make it a reality. How would such a group not be an inspiration to millions around the world...and for multiple generations? 

Yes, a band that goes up onstage in makeup with a big stage show...and they are famous! No radio support. No media support. The red-headed step child that so many in the industry hated. The band that would not go away. The band that gained a following from years of hard work where that played anywhere and everywhere. They became, as Gene Simmons said, by the people, of the people, for the people. 

That is why KISS was able to break attendance records by The Beatles and is America's #1 Gold Record Winner of All Time. The KISS Army is large and forever growing and we have spoken and we will be heard!

The music industry is so good at not listening to the people and KISS is one of many groups that persevered thanks to their drive to the succeed and because of the number of people who gave them a chance and loved what they heard and saw. In other words, it is a true love affair between a grateful band and the KISS Army who have announced to the world, this is our thing! We celebrated this at every show and it started with the band always putting on the best show in the world. 

So you can love them or hate them but you can't deny the fact that they fulfilled their dreams and did it their way! Jealousy from other musicians and many in the masses? You better believe it! 

I will miss the shows and the experience of seeing the band with my family also known as the KISS Army. But the music lives on forever and I will not only enjoy it for the rest of my life but celebrate with gratitude all that the band gave to me. Good times. Comfort when I was down. Inspiration to become a musician. The confidence to go out there and be the artist that I want to be. All of this and so much more. 

So to Paul Stanley, Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, Bruce Kulick, Eric Singer, and Tommy Thayer. Thank you! To Anton Fig, Bob Kulick, Kevin Valentine, and all of the other session players who stepped in to keep the music going. Thank you! 


YOU WANTED THE BEST! YOU GOT THE BEST! THE HOTTEST BAND IN THE WORLD! 


KISS!!!!!


And don't you forget it! 



Carlos Solorzano

https://www.desertdrummer.com/








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering The Brilliance of Eric Carr

Closing out 2021 and a Major Chapter of my Musical Life